Painting with "Help" Again

I struggled with this painting for a couple hours today. It wasn't coming together the way I envisioned, and I just couldn't get the face the way I wanted it. "Argh!" "Ugh!" I must've used those words a hundred times. I painted and repainted half a dozen times before I finally just left it alone and sat back with a sigh of relief. It was done.

Finally finished, I went into the other room for a minute.

A few seconds later Ella followed me into the room. With a pencil. Talking about my painting. Excitedly talking about my painting. With a PENCIL.
She apparently thought the painting wasn't finished yet, and a little pencil scribble on the white dog was just what it needed.

Was I upset? Frustrated? Nope. I was just relieved it was only pencil this time. Ah, it's the little things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids always seem to want to 'help' when I've left some sort of adhesive out, especially E6000.
I guess I should just be happy that they like being creative.

Unknown said...

I will never forget walking into my studio to find my toddler standing there with a TISSUE BLADE in hand, hovering over the sculpture he had just hacked to pieces. After the initial relief that he had somehow managed not to cut himself, I was able to mourn the loss of my creation. It's hard to get too upset when you know they think they are helping and just doing what they see you do. I now give him his own clay to putter around with when I'm working so that he leaves mine alone...hopefully!

Andrea said...

It's so nice to find out I'm not the only one with a little helper. Maybe we should form a support group for Artists Who Have Been Sabotaged by Their Children. :)